HOW TO INSTALL MAGENTO USING BITNAMI AND XAMPP (with Sample Data)
1.First, download and install the latest version of XAMPP HERE.
(I downloaded this version : XAMPP for Windows 1.8.2 & 1.8.3)
2. Setting up XAMPP is pretty much straight forward. All you have to do is to follow the instructions on your screen. One installed, you will need to run XAMPP on your machine. Click the start button for Apache and MySql services. Your screen should look like this:
3. After running XAMPP, you will also need to install and download Bitnami (https://bitnami.com/stack/xampp#magento). It’s an application that is used for installing Magento on top of XAMPP. The good thing about Bitnami is you don’t need to register to Magento website to download the Magento application itself.
4. Installing Bitnami is also easy. After downloading, click the installation package and follow the instructions on your screen. After installing, go back to your XAMPP control panel and click Admin in Apache service. This will launch your default browser,
5. On the next screen or page click “Access”. If you are seeing the image below on your screen then you have successfully installed Magento.
(The next part of this tutorial is a bit advanced.)
6. If you want to add sample data or products, you will need to download it from Magento site (http://www.magentocommerce.com/download/noregister).
7. After downloading, go back to your XAMPP control panel and click Shell
8. While on shell, go to your Download directory or to the directory on where you saved the sample data. Here is a sample shell command.
9. Run the following command in order
Run the following command in sequential
create database magentotutorial;
mysql –uroot magentotutorial < magento_sample_data_for_184.108.40.206.sql
Your screen should look something like this.
10. Open 2 windows explorer, one is for your magento files, and the other is for you sample data files. Your magento files should be in your XAMPP directory. Ex. C:\xampp_bitnami\apps\magento\htdocs
11. Copy the content of media and skin folders from the sample data directory and paste them to the magento directory.
12. Delete the var folder from the magento directory. You will need to open the local.xml file in any which is located inside app folder.
13. Look for this code <connection> …. </connection>.
14. Update it with the following codes.
15. It show look similar with this
16. Refresh your browser and your screen should look like this